From Greenville, North Carolina, USA:

What are some common practices in schools for young children (daycare/preschool and early elementary ages) who are unable to self-inject insulin? Are there legal implications that prohibit the training of school personnel to assist with blood sugar checks and use of sliding scale/insulin administration (in the absence of a school nurse)? I have some schools in my area that are very receptive to teachers/aides assisting with blood sugar checks and administering insulin as indicated by a doctor's order, but others are extremely reluctant and state they are worried about their legal risks. When parental compliance is low at home, school teachers and staff may be the better/more reliable alternative care provider to assure a child gets her daily insulin. Am I supported by law to ask/expect teachers to take on this responsibility?

You most certainly are. If there is a written 504 plan, the school must carry out the physician's orders even if a school nurse is not present. Failure to do so is a violation of the law. Fore more information, please see The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare