Question:

From Sao Paulo, Brazil:

My boyfriend has an 11 year old child who has diabetes. He has many problems because of diabetes, and the worst being some spots on his skin called "granuloma annulare." I think itīs serious. Is there medicine for this?

Answer:

Granuloma annulare is an autoimmune condition (such as type 1A diabetes) occasionally associated with thyroiditis, diabetes, celiac syndrome, adrenal insufficiency, and rheumatoid arthritis (Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome) The association is not completely defined. It's not serious, and it just runs its mild course. Cryosurgery, ultraviolet light, immunosuppressive drugs like cyclosporin and human Tumor Necrosis Factor have all been tried so far with no firm conclusions.