My seven month old son now has type 1 diabetes because of a 95% pancreatectomy soon after birth. We need guidance from an experienced pediatric endocrinologist, who has been involved with such small babies with diabetes. We are prepared to come to the United States for a checkup, because the diabetologists in India have had hardly any experience with such cases.

There are a number of Centers in both Canada and the Usa that could help with the management of your son, but I think that it would be a great expense unless you had friends or relatives to stay with and proper follow up would be unsatisfactory.

As a nearer alternative and one that has frequent visitors from India, you might consider writing to The Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, The hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, London W.C.1., England.

Before doing that, however you might talk to [name deleted for publication]. He is listed by the American Diabetes Association as being both an adult and pediatric endocrinologist.