Question:

From Essex, England:

My three year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago. We seem to be coping very well with the blood tests and the twice daily injections. However, he has just had a viral infection which has caused his sugars to fluctuate badly, and therefore he had suffered many hypos. Whilst I understand that all children will get illnesses, is it true that children with diabetes have a poorer immune system? Is there anything we can include in his diet to increase his immunity?

Answer:

The immune system in diabetes is probably too active against everything. Add nothing to his diet to modify his immunity, but try to keep his metabolic control as good as possible. This is the only way to keep him strong enough against all the infections.