From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

At the age of six, my son had excessive sugar in the urine. The doctor referred to it as renal diabetes and said that as long as it didn't get worse, there shouldn't be any major concern. Since then, his eye doctor said he could tell a lot by the condition of the eyes, and he didn't see anything that would raise concern. Recently, my son (now 17) had his urine tested, and the nurse indicated it contained the highest sugar count she had seen in urine. We have since then scheduled a doctor appointment. He has not displayed any abnormal symptoms such as excessive thirst and has not been lethargic. Does this sound like something else causing the problem or is the problem possibly worsening leading to diabetes?

I am sure that your son's doctor is right, and that he has renal glucosuria which is a benign condition. Since he seems entirely well, it is very unlikely indeed that has had any form of diabetes for the past 11 years.