Question:

From Largo, Florida, USA:

The nerves on the bottom of my feet are very sensitive. Can anything be done?

Answer:

One of the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy is a heightened sense of pain with light touch. If you are having these symptoms, the issue would be how best to treat it. Neuropathic symptoms get better with improved blood sugar control. If that is not enough, there are other topical and systemic medications you can use to treat the symptoms. These symptoms are almost always worse at night. Another important point is that when you have these symptoms, you are also at increased risk of having foot sores which may lead to threatened limbs and amputation. Please look at your feet every day to make sure no sores develop. Finally, I would talk with your physician about appropriate treatments for you.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Diabetes and Foot Pain (at the Diabetes Monitor) for some additional thoughts about the management of diabetic neuropathy. WWQ]