From Middletown, New York, USA:

I have recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and anorexia. I am now in the process of recovery, but have a lot of cravings for high carb/sugary foods because of the deprivation I put my body through. I know it would be best for me to avoid these, but I have a lot of trouble because I am an emotional eater. I get angry with myself for eating carbs in general, any bread pasta or cereal even. Do you have any suggestions that would help me curb this habit and also control my hypoglycemia at the same time?

You should be very proud of yourself. Overcoming anorexia is so very difficult. I really think you need to build a "helping" team so that you can be successful in meeting your goals of balancing your hypoglycemia with your emotional eating issues. Your team need to consist of you, a mental health professional who has expertise in working with individuals who have struggled with anorexia, and a dietitian who has expertise in working with individuals with hypoglycemia and/or diabetes. Ask your physician or health care team to assist you in putting together such a group of helpers.

Posted to Behavior