Question:

From Bel Air, Maryland, USA:

My six year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes since age four. My 11 year old niece recovered from Henoch-Schonlein purpura and my two year old nephew is being evaluated for autism. Could there be some autoimmune problem in our family since all of these conditions are autoimmune related?

Answer:

None of these three conditions have been associated with each other. Thyroiditis and other thyroid problems, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency (Addison's), pernicious anemia and vitiligo are the most common autoimmune diseases associated with diabetes. In some studies, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and lupus are also increased in association with type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes, but less commonly than the other conditions.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity