From America On-Line:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 44 years and use an insulin pump. During the last year, I have developed cavities at my insertion sites. My endocrinologist says she has never seen or heard of anything like this. Can you help?

We have seen more of this lately with those who have used insulin pumps for a number of years. I do not think they are too bothered by them, since the indentations are not big, but we are unsure if the insulin is being absorbed as it should be. We certainly suggest alternating sites of the infusion sets, even trying the legs or buttocks. If the abdomen is used, be sure there is plenty of room between sites.

[Editor's comment: The problem you are experiencing is called lipoatrophy. It is benign, not uncommon, and should eventually resolve by avoiding these areas. SS]

DTQ- 20010122095133
Posted to Insulin Pumps