From Mosheim, Tennessee, USA:

My five year old son has been experiencing some symptoms similar to those of diabetes. He has polyuria, polydipsia and constant hunger which are not like his usual habits. He has frequent headaches and complains of being tired a lot. He had a fasting blood sugar drawn, and after twelve hours of fasting, his blood glucose was 118 mg/dl [6.6 mmol/L]. Does this seem to merit more testing? Does my child have diabetes? There is also a strong family involvement on my mother's side with diabetes. My grandfather was insulin dependent. Also, my mother has diabetes and so does my aunt, however neither of them are insulin dependent.

Your son's fasting blood sugar of 118 mg/dl [6.6 mmol/L] does not meet the criteria for a diagnosis of diabetes at this time.

The onset of diabetes in children is gradual. Your son's symptoms do require monitoring by your pediatrician, but does not merit further testing right now. However, you son should be closely monitored and have some further testing over the next few weeks or months.

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

You may want to get a home blood glucose meter and check you son's blood sugars periodically, especially when he is symptomatic or ill.

[Editor's comment: Home sugar testing could be carried out in other circumstances besides when your son is fasting, and might have a somewhat higher chance of being elevated: acute illnesses or a recent big meal (CocaCola and dessert, for instance!). If the sugar level is high on home testing, rechecking from a laboratory would be in order. WWQ]