Question:

From Silver Lake,Wisconsin, USA:

My six year old son had a positive step test, and two weeks later his hands and feet started peeling very badly. The doctor thinks he may have Kawasaki disease. I have hypothyroidism and had gestational diabetes, and my father has type 2 diabetes. My son is very tired and is now being tested for possible ADD. Should I be concerned that my son may have diabetes?

Answer:

This does not sound like Kawasaki disease, but more like a well recognized post-streptococcal (but odd nevertheless) phenomenon. Keep in touch with your doctors and especially if there are any symptoms that also sound like high sugars. I do not know of any such association with diabetes except that diabetes sometimes shows up after any bacterial or viral illness as a precipitating factor.