Question:

From USA:

I recently started using an insulin pump. I have enjoyed the freedom of it very much, but when I change the site to my upper abdomen, after a day, I start to feel pain. I have no problems in my lower abdomen. Nothing I do seems to help. What am I doing wrong?

Answer:

It may be that you are now using areas that you weren't using for injections. Lipohypertrophy and/or lipoatrophy develop(s) when a particular area is used frequently for injection, and there a numbing effect. If using your upper abdomen is extremely painful, I would use other places instead (e.g. the upper outer part of your hip). However, examine your lower abdomen sited for puffy or indented areas. If either of these is present at your insertion site, this area also needs to avoided since your insulin will not work correctly.

Anther thought is that you may be inserting the catheter too deeply, and your are hitting muscle in the upper abdomen which usually has less fat than the lower portion.. Trying using a different type of catheter such as the Silhouette which does not get inserted as far.

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps