Question:

From Mission Viejo, California, USA:

My eight year old has been complaining that lights are too bright. We turn the lights down, and his eyes feel better. When he goes outside to play, he says it too bright sometimes and his eyes hurt. He is always thirsty, especially at night and when he wakes up. His appetite is fine, but he is a little overweight.My maternal grandmother had diabetes and my brother has been diagnosed with low blood sugar. Should I have him tested for diabetes since it does run in my family?

Answer:

If you are concerned then a simple urine check will tell you whether or not your child has diabetes. The eye symptoms he has is worth your while having his eyes checked out.

JS

Posted to Genetics and Heredity and Diagnosis and Symptoms