Question:

From Louisiana, USA:

Can high sugar levels cause a child to be hyperactive and talk a lot? My son has been talking a lot in class, and it seems that most of the time when he does this is sugar level is over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Does this has anything to do with his sugar level?

Answer:

I don't really understand why, but some of the patients I see have mentioned that when their child has a high reading, their behaviour changes. Often this is due to a very high reading rather than a slightly high reading, often above 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L]. However, it can often be coincidental, and sometimes the child is simply just behaving badly, as they sometimes do!

JS

Posted to Behavior