Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I read somewhere that the digestion of the dinner meal takes substantially longer than other meals and that insulin resistance at dinnertime is about double. Can you comment on this?

Answer:

Yes, that appears to be true. There is a classic study in which healthy volunteers ate meals and had glucoses measured all day and night. As you suggest, for an equal number of calories, the later in the day the longer the time to a return to baseline. As I recall, a huge breakfast only took a couple of hours to return to baseline, but the same number of calories at dinner took almost four hours.