Question:

From Oregon, USA:

My 16 year old son was diagnosed about nine months ago. He is out of the honeymoon period already, and we are trying to get him on the insulin pump. We have only heard positive things about the pump, but his doctor is hesitant. His doctor is concerned because he won't have any NPH in his system, and, if the tubing got kinked or something, my son would be in danger. My son counts carbs well, checks his blood sugars at least four times a day and calculates his insulin doses himself. Are there any downsides to having the pump?

Answer:

It appears to me that your son would be a good pumper. Insulin pumps have alarm systems that warn if there is no delivery for any reason. In addition, we always recommend that pump users have a vial of insulin (Regular or Humalog) with them at all times in case anything unusual happens, although this is rarely needed. For more information about deciding on insulin pump use, please see: Is pumping for you?.

It is essential that anyone starting on a pump work with a diabetes team well-educated in their use. From your comments, it does not appear that your son's present physician has this expertise. I strongly suggest that you seek out a diabetes team specializing in the care of adolescents and insulin pumps if your son wishes to pursue this wonderful treatment option.

SS

[Editor's comment: Ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes pump team. It should be reasonable for your physician to manage your son's general health while the pump team manages the pump, and hopefully your son's doctor will learn more about pumps at the same time that you and your son learn! WWQ]

Posted to Insulin Pumps