Question:

From a physician in Decorah, Iowa, USA:

My eight year old daughter was diagnosed at age two and has been on an insulin pump for 15 months. She is also a competitive swimmer. She trains around four one-hour sessions per week and attends meets that last anywhere from three to six hours on the weekends. Are you aware of any physicians who deal with competitive athletes similar to my daughter? I am a family physician so I would really like to know more.

Answer:

I am not aware of anyone in particular, however I would recommend contacting the International Diabetic Athletes Association for help. Your daughter's pump manufacturer may be of some assistance here as well. I would also recommend visiting the Insulin Pumpers website. They have an extensive base of medical professionals involved in pump therapy. Over 2000 pumper wearers themselves who would be happy to share their expertise. The Diabetic Athlete by Sheri Colberg and Edward Horton is also a wonderful reference.

DMW

Posted to Community Resources and Exercise and Sports