Question:

From Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA:

I am a 47 year old female, and I think I may be about eight weeks pregnant, but am not sure. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes and was prescribed Glucotrol. A year later, I was told my blood sugar range was normal (117 mg/dl [6.5 mmol/L] ) and I did not have diabetes. Now, my blood sugar range averages 220 mg/dl [12.2 mmol/L] and has gone as high as 561 mg/dl [31.2 mmol/L]. I now taking Glucovance. If I am pregnant, how will the Glucovance affect my baby? Do I have diabetes?

Answer:

In answer to your first question you need to confirm the pregnancy. Glucovance is a combination of glyburide and metformin. Glyburide is probably safe in pregnancy, but metformin is not recommended. You should either switch over to glyburide alone or be started on insulin. Presumably, you are early in pregnancy, and I would suggest insulin until you are out of the first trimester if you want to be absolutely safe.

In answer to your second question, if you have a blood sugar as high as 561 mg/dl [31.2 mmol/L], then you have diabetes, and you need to be in better control (probably with insulin).

Posted to Family Planning