Question:

From Washington, DC, USA:

I have heard conflicting reports about using Humalog during pregnancy, and would like to fully understand the options before becoming pregnant. What is the current thinking?

Answer:

There has not been a published study demonstrating harm from the use of Humalog during pregnancy. Many physicians (including myself) are using it. A letter was published in the New England Journal of Medicine expressing some concern about Humalog, but this was based on some cases and not a scientific study. If you want to minimize your risk, I would suggest not using Humalog prior to conception and during the first eight weeks of gestation.

Posted to Family Planning