Question:

From Miami, Florida, USA:

My 15 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed at age 12. She had a sugar level of 1000 mg/dl [55.6 mmol/L] and was very ill. I am very worried because she has not started her menses. My endocrinologist tells me not to worry and to wait until she is 16. Could she have suffered some injury to her reproductive organs during her episode at age 12?

Answer:

The blood glucose of 1000 mg/dl [55.6 mmol/L] is unlikely to have caused problems with your daughter's ovaries. I expect there are changes associated with puberty and her endocrinologist is being conservative. I think it is likely okay.

[Editor's comment: There are many young women who do not begin to menstruate until the age of 16. If your daughter had poor control during this pre-pubertal period, it can cause delay in the onset of puberty. If your daughter is exhibiting other signs (body hair, breast enlargement, etc.), I would not be too concerned. SS]

Posted to Puberty