From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

I'm a 36 year old male with some kind of chronic symptoms that may or may not be related to diabetes or hypoglycemia. I am intolerant of almost all forms of sugar until dessert at night (but only after a protein-rich dinner). I have no problem with fruit juices during the day, but if I eat processed sugar in any form I lose any ability to concentrate, slur my speech, become irritable and cannot form a logical thought no matter how hard I try. It's actually pretty scary both to me and my wife. I've consulted several dietitians who simply tell me to exercise more, and when my primary care physician recently ran a glucose tolerance test and told me the results were normal -- that it must be in my head. My father was diagnosed with hypoglycemia in the 1970s, and a radiologist friend tells me it's the Somogyi effect. None of these sound right since the suggested remedy for those diagnoses is sugar, which would send me over the edge. I can control it by eating eggs and meat for breakfast (no cholesterol problems so far), fish for lunch (light on the bread), and then whatever I want for dinner. Is that the best I can hope for here?

I would suggest you are getting a lot of mixed messages about your problem. First, a glucose tolerance test is neither necessary or sufficient to diagnose reactive hypoglycemia. Second, you have already described an ability to avoid problems with dietary manipulation. My suggestion would be to see a dietitian about symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia. Make sure you are not having symptoms outside of the post-meal period as this would require ruling out other problems by your physician. For the most part, your treatment will be the avoidance of foods which cause the problem. Small frequent meals through the day with avoidance of simple sugars is the menu.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Diagnosis and Symptoms