Question:

From Ohio, USA:

About a year ago, our 16 year old son, who was a child of perfect health, began having grand mal seizures. We don't understand why and have not been able to come up with any answers. He has also developed hypoglycemia. Could the seizures be related to the hypoglycemia? If so, how do we begin to control it?

Answer:

Hypoglycemia can certainly cause grand mal seizures at any age. Treatment depends on knowing when and how often these occur, how severe they are, whether they relate to meals, and of course, on what the cause is. I think that your son needs to be seen and thoroughly evaluated as soon as possible by a pediatric neurologist. (I realize of course that this may already have taken place and that he has been diagnosed as 'idiopathic epilepsy' after EEG's, etc. have failed to give a more precise lead.)

With regard to what to do about the low blood sugars, the first step is to develop a profile of these throughout the 24 hours and on several days and than to see if the pattern helps at all to make a link to the seizures.There may be times of the day when the blood sugar tends to be low and when hypoglycemia might be alleviated by dietary means.

[Editor's comment: I would suggest that you keep a blood glucose meter available, and that you are properly trained to use it. That will allow you to check when your son is symptomatic. You should also seek consultation with a dietitian. SS]