From Rochester, New York, USA:

I am 23 years old and in the 35th week of my second pregnancy. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 30 weeks. I am on a special diet, of course, and 10 units of intermediate-acting insulin before bed. I check my blood sugar before and one hour after breakfast one hour after dinner. I had an ultrasound and NST [non-stress test] at 34 weeks with were both perfect. At the ultrasound, my doctor said that I should probably start taking the "other" insulin. I honestly will admit that I have cheated on that horrible diet a few times now. Some of the higher readings are most likely due to this, the finger pricking and the worrying. It is all driving me out of my mind. So, given all of this information, how unlikely would it be for me to be induced one or two weeks early? Would this be too risky for lung maturity and breathing/sucking? I do plan on breastfeeding as I did with my first. Also, my first was a happy, uncomplicated, stress-free pregnancy. I just want another opinion on this other then from my doctor -- to whom I will be asking the same question.

Some obstetricians prefer to induce mothers with diabetes a little early. This is not always the case as long as the testing on the baby is good. Usually this is done to avoid a large baby at delivery. An amniocentesis can be done near term to measure fetal lung maturity and guide you and your obstetrician in timing the delivery.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes