Question:

From Maplewood, Minnesota, USA:

My eight year old daughter was diagnosed with typeá1 diabetes about a year and a half ago, and since then she was diagnosed with celiac disease and hypothyroidism. I have great faith in her doctor. How many kids out there with type 1 have these same conditions? Are there any support groups for us, to help control everything?

Answer:

The association of typeá1A (autoimmune) with other autoimmune conditions such as hypothyroid and celiac disease and has come to be known as the Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome Type II. There are other rarer components, also.

On the issue of support groups, if you already have a good diabetes care team that has a nurse educator, a dietitian and a medical social worker as well as the doctor, I think they would be the best source of help, they and might well be able to bring you into touch with other families with the same problem. About 25% of people with type 1A diabetes have some evidence of hypothyroidism, and about 8% have positive antitransglutaminase antibodies, though not all of these latter need treatment for celiac disease. So, the problem is not all that unusual. Other sources of help could be the local office of the American Diabetes Association and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, or, indeed the parent's place on this website.