Question:

From Texas, USA:

Sometimes, my parents' friend comes over to eat, and no one knows what he should eat. He is around 40 or 50 years old, but I have no clue what type of diabetes he has. Can someone please send me a list of foods that he can have?

Answer:

It's great that you want to help out!

Regardless of what type of diabetes your parents' friend has, the foods eaten by people with diabetes are the same foods that everyone else eats. People with diabetes simply need to know how to manage the foods for blood sugar control. For many people, this involves knowing how much carbohydrate a food contains so they can count it into their plan. You can make it easier for people with diabetes to choose what works best for them at mealtime by offering a variety of healthy, enjoyable foods -- some that have carbohydrate (like bread, potatoes, pasta, fruit, and desserts) and some that don't (like meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, salads and nuts).

BB