Question:

From the Internet:

Are you aware of any research regarding idiopathic juvenile diabetes, and where might I find more information regarding this subcategory? I get the impression that since this is rare in Caucasian children, it is being overlooked. I would also like more information regarding managing type 1B through diet, exercise and oral agents, and whether this might be appropriate for a three year old.

Answer:

I contacted a pediatric endocrinologist, and this was his reply:

Idiopathic diabetes is an old term that was used for Asian and black children who developed diabetes and often presented in DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis], but then could be taken off insulin for years, only to have intermittent episodes of insulin requirement. It is probably due to a defect in insulin secretion by the islet cells.

It would be very unwise to consider this form of diabetes in a three year old Caucasian. It may be worthwhile to obtain antibody tests (ICA-512 and GAD-65 to convince this mother that her daughter has type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes. I certainly would not consider oral agents

HVS

Posted to Research: Other Research