Question:

From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years. I recently read a book that said one lives, on average, 50 years with the disease. Is this true?

I know you should not believe every thing you read, but if this is true, there is a possibility that I will only live until my mid 40s. Please tell me this is not so.

Answer:

One of the issues related to diabetes care and outcome is the level of care received by individuals during their lifetime. As a diabetes care provider, I advocate near-normal glucose control as the best means of avoiding long-term complications from diabetes. Most of the cardiovascular problems result from the development of kidney failure from diabetes. Statistics like the ones you quoted are not necessarily accurate in a population of patients benefiting from improved control, better blood pressure control, and healthier lifestyles. I would like to think all of our patients with diabetes will be able to live healthy lives. I wish that for you too.

Please do not be concerned with those statistics. Rather, turn your energies into a positive direction toward better control. What was once true yesterday may not be true today. No one can really predict the future.