From Ashland, Wisconsin, USA:

Any news on when and to whom the GlucoWatch will be marketed in the US?

We had a visit last week by some of the GlucoWatch to set up a study in younger children, and I had a chance to ask them your question. The answer, and it has often been postponed, is that the GlucoWatch will be available in the US; but only initially through certain diabetes centers, in the fall of this year [2001]. In the meantime, it has been introduced on this restricted basis in England and seems to be working out well there. I sensed that this rather deliberate marketing approach was in part to buy time to get over some of the remaining minor disadvantages (the rather mild skin reaction that a few people develop under the watch and the still fairly long equilibration time for the patches).

If you are looking at relief from finger sticking you might want to consider either the FreeStyle meter or the One Touch Ultra. Both of these meters use minute amounts of blood from the forearm and are essentially painless.