Question:

From Shakopee, Minnesota, USA:

I am 28 weeks pregnant with my first child. I just completed the one-hour glucose tolerance test (GTT), my reading was 157 mg/dl [8.2 mmol/L], and my doctor wants me to do the three-hour GTT. Three days before the test, I changed my diet to smaller meals with each meal containing less carbohydrate, a little more protein, and a lot less fruit. In the end, my three hour GTT test result was 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] fasting, 157 mg/dl [8.7 mmol/L] at one hour, 130 mg/dl [7.2mmol/L] at two hours, and 103 mg/dl [8.7 mmol/L] at three hours. Did the diet that I had before the test change the result of my test? Is the test result accurate?

Answer:

The change in your diet should not change your test results significantly.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes