Question:

From America On-Line:

I have diabetes and am on the insulin pump. I want to know the symptoms of diabetes and any other information you could provide me with about this serious illness. Should I avoid giving my three and one-half year old daughter chocolate milk, puddings, etc., as I was told by some people that this will bring out the gene producing diabetes? It could lay dormant her entire life if she is not given these sugar based products. Is it true that feeding her too much sugar will bring the diabetes out, maybe not now, but possibly later on in life, and that if she is not given this sugar and chocolate, it may lay dormant for her entire life?

She is always thirsty, never tired and has the energy of two children. I need to know what to look for and if in fact there is any concern. Her mom does not have diabetes, but her mom's dad had it and that was a major cause of his passing away.

Answer:

I'm afraid you have some of the research information about type 1 diabetes a bit mixed up. There is some decrease in type 1 diabetes when infants are breast fed and some increase when receiving cow's milk, but this does not have anything to do with chocolate containing lots of sugar (which it usually does; chocolate without sugar is rather bitter). So, nobody believes that specific avoidance of sugar or milk is advisable except as part of general good health and nutrition advice for all children.

You can learn lots about diabetes from these web sites:

Lots of general medical sites probably have as good information as might be your library.

I might also suggest that you discuss these concerns with your children's doctor in an unhurried fashion so that he or she can help answer specific questions.

Posted to Research: Causes and Prevention and Genetics and Heredity