Question:

From Oregon, USA:

Could you tell if there are any professional endurance athletes that have diabetes? I've seen a professional tri-athlete that was but forgot his name.

Answer:

Although at this time I am personally not aware of anyone in particular who fits the "professional endurance athlete" category, there are many successful endurance athletes out there who also live with diabetes. You may wish to contact the International Diabetic Athletes Association.

DMW

[Editor's comment: The person you are trying to think of is probably Bill Carlson, who won the Iron Man Triathalon several years ago (see Exercise: The Best Pace is Your Own Pace in the JDRF Countdown magazine for a mention of Bill, and hints about exercise). Also, the Olympic swimmer (I think that's endurance!) Gary Hall has diabetes and is planning to be at our 2001 Conference and Expo. SS]

Posted to Exercise and Sports