From Houma, Louisiana, USA:

My 31 year old husband has had type 1 diabetes for eight years. Lately, he has been complaining of his upper back portion of his arms (above the elbow) falling asleep when he lies down. He seems to think it is because he has gained about 25 pounds in the last year or so, but I'm worried about neuropathy. What could this be?

I would suggest that your husband see a physician. An examination is very important to pinpoint the problem. I am not sure if these symptoms are related to diabetic neuropathy or to nerve compression in the spine.