From Crewe, Cheshire, England:

I am a 40 year old female and have had diabetes for 25 years. For the last ten years or so, I have suffered with what I call an antisocial stomach. It starts with a very gurgly stomach and repulsively smelly burps, which subsides after 10-12 hours and develops into non smelling wind at the other end. This has become more regular and can now occur two to three times a week. My doctor shows no interest in the condition, but I now find it is affecting my life drastically. Can you tell me if you know what it could be and if there is a way of treating it?

I'm not sure what it is. I can say that in order to find out, you would probably have to do more formal studies. These might include gastric emptying studies where the time it takes the stomach to empty is measured. Please talk with your physician about whether he/she thinks it should be performed and why or why not.

[Editor's comment: You could ask your physician for a "second opinion," or consultation, with a specialist such as a gastroenterologist, if your doctor is unsure how to proceed. WWQ]