Question:

From Renfrew, Ontario, Canada:

My five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago. I am concerned about her constant high blood glucose readings (20.0 mmol/L [360 mg/dl]) and her upcoming hemoglobin A1c. How much time should I be allowing her body to adjust to this new diagnosis?

Answer:

Please contact the nearest diabetes team involved in the care of children with type 1 diabetes as soon as you can. If proper therapy is prescribed, it generally takes no more than few days to drastically reduce, though not optimally for the first weeks, blood sugar levels in any child. After such a long time after diagnosis, your child should have rather stable metabolic control as judged by her hemoglobin A1c.