Question:

From Clifton, Virginia, USA:

I am a 40 year old skinny male, who exercises every day and has no symptoms of diabetes. However, my blood sugar is around 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L] in the morning even if I did not eat much the night before. During the day it drops backs to 110 -130 mg/dl [6.1 -7.2mmol/L]. Why is my blood sugar always high in the morning? Do I have diabetes? Why is my blood sugar always high in the morning? Do I need to use medicine? Which drug is the best and will not damage your kidneys?

Answer:

The fasting blood sugar of 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L], if verified in a clinical laboratory, is consistent with the diagnosis of diabetes. Your blood sugar will go up during the night, even if you do not eat anything, because the lack of an insulin effect allows the liver to make more glucose and export it into the blood. The fact that you are skinny raises the possibility that you may have an atypical form of diabetes called Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA). You need to see your physician and discuss your findings in order to arrive at an appropriate therapy. In the end, the medicine that makes your blood sugars the most normal is the correct one.