From Huntington Woods, Michigan, USA:

My 10 year old son has been using an insulin pump with Humalog insulin for about two months. He occasionally has significant "highs" soon after changing the infusion set. I noticed that sometimes, when the old infusion set is removed, a bubble of liquid seems to drip out. I suspect this is unabsorbed insulin, and that this may explain the hyperglycemia. Can you suggest a strategy to prevent losing this insulin, or recommend a way to estimate the volume so we can immediately give him a bolus to compensate for it?

You should review this situation with your diabetes team. They may want to actually watch what you are doing at infusion set changes since this is likely a technique problem that can be solved. It is also reviewed in the pump therapy manual(s) in some detail.

[Editor's comment: Be sure to give a 1 unit bolus each time the infusion set is changed. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps