Question:

From Emerald, Queensland, Australia:

I am 35 years old and was diagnosed five years ago. I take Humalog and Protaphane via pens and sometimes syringes to control my blood sugar. I thought that insulin had to be refrigerated. Recently I read in Conquest (a Diabetes Australia publication), that insulin in use should be stored at room temperature, and pens should not be stored in the refrigerator (which I do). Could you recommend some guidelines with regard to storage of insulin, both in use and awaiting use? Is the effectiveness of insulin reduced by using straight from the refrigerator? Why shouldn't pens be stored in the refrigerator?

Answer:

You are correct. Insulin pens in use do not need to be refrigerated, but the spare ones should be. Insulin injected straight from the fridge will warm up very quickly and work perfectly well, but some people report pain when injecting cold insulin.