From Wilmington, North Carolina, USA:

I am a teacher of multi-handicapped students in a rural county, I have a 16 year old, African-American student recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He and his family are limited mentally and economically. I am trying to develop, with the help of the school nurse, a set of simple, everyday menus for them to choose from. They cannot comprehend carb breakdowns, exchanges, etc. I need lists of actual menus that can be simply prepared in their home for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. He is on an 1800 calorie a day diet. We have some great recipes for treats and specialty food to prepare in cooking class at school but really need the basics for home.

First let me say how fortunate this family is to have someone who will go so far to work with them. There are several publications available from the American Diabetes Association. I would suggest you log on to the ADA website and look for a book called, Month of Menus. These are meals that are already planned for people to follow. They may need a little revision to fit the financial abilities of the family. Perhaps there is a county or state nutritionist that you can contact for more help or your regional American Diabetes Association who could direct you to a dietitian familiar with children with diabetes who could be of help as well.