Question:

From Danbury, Connecticut, USA:

My 12 year old son, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of seven, has been on the insulin pump with Humalog for a little more than two years and is having a serious problem with lipoatrophy. Is there help out there for these kids with this problem? I know that lipoatrophy is rare but it is happening to a number of Humalog insulin users. What do we do?

Answer:

Move the site around. Try the buttocks up high, in addition to the abdomen. I will take several months, but the lipoatrophy should resolve.

[Editor's comment: I agree with Dr. Deeb, and would also like to point out that I don't think the problem is necessarily caused by the Humalog. It seems more likely that, since people on Humalog are giving many more injections than with standard regimens, the sites are getting over-used. Even though people (especially children) believe they are rotating injection sites, they tend to use the same ones, or ones to close to previous injections (partially because these areas get numb!). SS]