Question:

From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

My 19 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for nine years and takes Ultralente and Humalog. I was told he is using marijuana, but he has had negative blood tests. Does the insulin play any part in the negative blood test results?

Answer:

No. In fact, marijuana stays in the blood and urine for a long time. I would recommend you talk with your son about the dangers of losing control with insulin therapy.

[Editor's comment: Either your son is not using marijuana or he didn't because he knew you were going to have a test done to test for it. Hopefully, you can have an open discussion with him and find out the real truth. If this isn't possible, i would suggest meeting with a mental health professional to help you and your son sort these issues out. SS]

Posted to Behavior and Insulin