From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

My 19 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for nine years and takes Ultralente and Humalog. I was told he is using marijuana, but he has had negative blood tests. Does the insulin play any part in the negative blood test results?

No. In fact, marijuana stays in the blood and urine for a long time. I would recommend you talk with your son about the dangers of losing control with insulin therapy.

[Editor's comment: Either your son is not using marijuana or he didn't because he knew you were going to have a test done to test for it. Hopefully, you can have an open discussion with him and find out the real truth. If this isn't possible, i would suggest meeting with a mental health professional to help you and your son sort these issues out. SS]

Posted to Behavior and Insulin