From Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 40 year old sister has had type 1 diabetes for about 15 years. Recently, she has developed severe migraine-like headaches, and her MRI showed several black spots. The technician assured her they were not tumors. Is this related to diabetes, and what further complications should we expect in the future?

I am afraid I do not have expertise in this area. My suggestion would be to talk to the ordering physician or to the radiologist for a more specific differential diagnosis (list of causes) for the findings.

[Editor's comment: Headaches are not usually associated with diabetes, except occasionally as part of hypoglycemia. WWQ]