From Findlay, Ohio, USA:

I am 19 years old and in college. Is there any way I can get college paid for because of this disability?

Diabetes does not usually qualify as a disability although it is a chronic illness. However, if you have major problems with eyes, heart, kidneys, stomach, nervous system, etc, then this might qualify you for some disability assistance. You should discuss this with the local authorities.

Also, you should talk to the financial aid office at school since there are frequently unused funds available for those with all kinds of medical/chronic care issues. Sometimes directly for people with diabetes and sometimes merely listed under medical problems, chronic health care needs, etc. Be a good detective the financial aid advisors to find out.

[Editor's comment: Diabetes is not considered a disability, in terms of Social Security benefits, unless you have complications. Please see David Mendosa's article, Financial Assistance, at the ADA website, and an answer to a previous question on this topic. SS]