Question:

From Marshalltown, Iowa, USA:

My 22 month old son urinates frequently! His diapers (especially the last few days) are very soaked. He would drink his meals if allowed to, and he doesn't have a good appetite for solids. He is irritable, has an area on his neck that has a "dirty" look. and has recurring sores on his penis. My father and grandma both had adult onset diabetes. Could my 22 month old have diabetes?

Answer:

I think that your son needs to be seen by a pediatrician or in a neighbourhood health center. It would be very easy there to test for sugar in his urine and even to do a fasting blood sugar. The recurring penile ulcer could be a benign skin condition like a fungal infection, but again, this needs to be seen and discussed with a doctor.