Question:

From Feilding, New Zealand:

Our five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five months ago. She is currently using Protaphane/Actrapid mix, and Actrapid sliding scale at tea. Her levels are often high in the morning, and low after school. While we are getting used to dealing with this, my concern is that, in New Zealand, she is under a paediatrician, not an endocrinologist. What are your thoughts on how up to date New Zealand is in care of children with diabetes?

I would love to make contact with other parents of young children with type 1 diabetes.

krdcdavies@xtra.co.nz

Answer:

Diabetes care at The Children's Hospital in Auckland is certainly excellent and at Christchurch too, I'm not so sure about Dunedin or Wellington.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

I always suggest your consulting with a pediatric endocrinologist specializing in diabetes.

[Editor's comment: If you want to meet other parents, be sure to visit our Chat Rooms. SS]