Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from March 2001

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My six year old cannot make it through school without an extra snack. Recently, she was admitted to the hospital with a blood glucose of 21 mg/dl [1.2 mmol/L] which the pediatrician believes was caused by pneumonia. I am uneasy with that assumption. Is there cause for concern? (29 Mar 2001)

2. What are the main problems with catheter insertion devices? (29 Mar 2001)

3. My 10 year old niece was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about two months ago. Do you have any suggestions as to where we can go to educate ourselves? (29 Mar 2001)

4. My three year old son is always thirsty and is wetting his pull-up quite a bit. The doctor did a urine test which was normal, but now he wants to do a five-hour glucose test. Is this necessary? I am worried about my son, but I do not want to do unnecessary tests on him. (29 Mar 2001)

5. I am a mother of a 16 year old down syndrome with type 1 diabetes. I am patiently waiting for the GlucoWatch so that I will have some help in knowing his blood sugar at all times. Any advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated. (29 Mar 2001)

6. I am pregnant, and unfortunately, just a couple of months previously, I was diagnosed with diabetes which had not gotten under complete control with diet, exercise and oral agents. My blood sugars are now fairly normal with insulin. A recent ultrasound showed that we that we are having twins! Assuming that I follow my treatment plan and keep my blood sugars in a safe range, are the chances good that I will deliver healthy babies? (29 Mar 2001)

7. On average, about how long does the insulin pump process take? (29 Mar 2001)

8. My 12 year old daughter had early puberty and recently, I was told that she probably has PCOS and is insulin resistant, but they say she is too young to be treated. Are they seeing kids now that have developed early puberty with insulin resistance? I need advice on what to do next and what to expect. (29 Mar 2001)

9. I have a case load of around 200 children and adolescents with mainly type 1 diabetes, and I help coordinate and run camps for the young ones. Do you know of someone I may be able to connect with to discuss what psycho-social issues they discuss with the younger age group? (29 Mar 2001)

10. I recently took my 14 year old nephew, who has diabetes, to see a dietitian, and she put him on a total of 375 to 400 grams of carb daily. This seems like a lot of food for a person with diabetes. My mother doesn't like this at all and would like to see me not let him have that much to eat so that he won't need more insulin. Should I listen to my mother and just feed him less? (29 Mar 2001)

11. My 13 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three years ago, suffers from the dawn phenomenon. Nothing seems to help. I've been made to feel as though and have been told that this is something that should not be happening and that we are doing things wrong. How do I stop the dawn phenomenon? (29 Mar 2001)

12. I am an extremely healthy, 33 year old who has had type 1 diabetes for eight years, and am very actively involved in athletics and outdoor activities. I have great control of my diabetes, and I am interested in participating in Survivor (the TV show). I understand that it would be extremely difficult, but I feel that I could do it. Do you see this as a possibility for me? (28 Mar 2001)

13. Why should Glucophage be temporarily discontinued if you are going to have X-rays or surgery with dyes involved? What dire things can happen if you do not discontinue use and have those dyes injected? What type of blood test checks for lactic acidosis? (28 Mar 2001)

14. I am a 20 year old international competitive swimmer who has had type 1 diabetes for about six years. Can you advise me on the effects of varying my blood sugar on my performance? Will my performance be better or worse with a high/low blood sugar? (28 Mar 2001)

15. Last week, I had the three-hour glucose tolerance test which my doctor says is completely within normal limits, but the lab marked the three-hour value as high. I am concerned that I may be have borderline diabetes. What does it mean that my values increased as time went on, instead of decreased? Should I be concerned? (28 Mar 2001)

16. My daughter is 16 and has had diabetes for 12 years. Today she was diagnosed with mononucleosis. The doctor says steroids will help her feel better quicker, but is it worth fighting the high blood sugars? (28 Mar 2001)

17. I am a 20 year old college freshman who has had reactive hypoglycemia for about two and a half years. My parents told me I show signs of hypoglycemia about 20 minutes or so after I eat. Is there any medication which can slow down how fast the food breaks down into sugar? (28 Mar 2001)

18. My mother and one sibling have both had type 1 diabetes for years, and at 30 years of age, I was diagnosed with type 2. Previously, I developed Graves Disease and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. After several months of treatment with oral agents, my endocrinologist placed me on insulin. Does type 2 diabetes ever develop into type 1? (28 Mar 2001)

19. My 11 year old daughter receives NPH and Humalog insulin twice a day. Her bedtime reading may be 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L], but an hour after her snack, she may be between 70 and 80 mg/dl [3.9 and 4.4 mmol/L] or lower. Why is she so low when she just had a snack and was higher earlier? (28 Mar 2001)

20. I am 30 years old and am 36 weeks pregnant with my third child. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about a month ago and have been following a diet. My high risk doctor has recommended that I go on 4 units of Humalog insulin before dinner., but my regular obstetrician says that I really don't need it, and it is up to me. At this stage of my pregnancy, is this necessary? Will it have any benefits to the baby? I don't know what to do. (28 Mar 2001)

21. What is considered an "excellent" glycohemoglobin for a 14 year old boy, diagnosed two years ago? His doctors gave the number and then rated it either excellent, good, fair, needs improvement. Last time it was 7.9%, and rated "excellent" now it's 10% still rated "excellent", though, it's above normal. (28 Mar 2001)

22. If maltodextrin is responsible for the weight in packets of artificial sweeteners, why doesn't the calorie content have to be reported as four? Does it mean that the content is too small to be concerned about? How do the manufacturers get away with zero calories? This is important information to know. (27 Mar 2001)

23. I understand that the GlucoWatch is available in England. If I were to go to England, could I buy one, bring it home and use it here, buy the supplies and so forth? I am considering a vacation in England and this would be something wonderful to bring home. (27 Mar 2001)

24. For the past year, my daughter has been complaining of foot pain, dizziness, and nausea. Her endocrinologist doesn't feel that they are diabetes related, and suggested we see our family doctor. He has ordered many blood tests and scans, but nothing has shown up. What should our next step be? (27 Mar 2001)

25. My husband, who has type 2 diabetes, lost a kidney to cancer three years ago. One week prior, he was involved in an accident causing severe blunt force trauma to his healthy kidney. Within 24 hours after surgery, he went into acute renal failure. Where do I find research regarding blunt force trauma and the acceleration of kidney disease? Is it any different for people with diabetes? (27 Mar 2001)

26. My daughter is on NPH and Regular at breakfast and NPH at bedtime. We give her Humalog, if her blood glucose level is 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] or over. For the past week, she seems to have fallen into a pattern of starting out the day either low or in her target range, and then gradually increasing her blood sugar level throughout the day to over 400 mg/dl [22.3 mmol/L] at bedtime. Any suggestions? (27 Mar 2001)

27. I am 32 years old, almost 28 weeks pregnant, and was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am hoping diet and monitoring alone will rectify the problem without the need for insulin, and I have several questions. (27 Mar 2001)

28. Our five year old son has type 1 diabetes, and we have a very hard time controlling his blood sugars. Would he be better off on the insulin pump? Is he old enough for the pump? When is a good age to start with the pump? When is the insulin inhaler going to be available? (27 Mar 2001)

29. In a healthy person, could epidural steroid injections cause diabetes? Not prolonged use, just one or two injections. (27 Mar 2001)

30. Some nights my 11 year old son will wake up in the middle of the night feeling low, while other times he will not which results in the rebound high. How should we treat a rebound hyperglycemia in the morning? Is there any reason why he doesn't always awake when he goes low overnight? (27 Mar 2001)

31. I am 36 weeks pregnant and gestational diabetes well-controlled by diet only. What is the non-stress test? How it is performed? Who needs to undergo this test? What are the implications of the result? (27 Mar 2001)

32. My seven year old daughter, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about eight months ago, has been making comments a lot lately about not wanting to live and that she just can't take it anymore. I am becoming really concerned. Should I seek professional counseling for her? (26 Mar 2001)

33. Almost once a week, my three year old daughter will have a really "weird" blood glucose level. She may be 79 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] in the morning, eat a good breakfast, be in the 400s mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] two hours later, and then by lunch she is back down to the 100s mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. I can't seem to find a pattern within time of day, specific food or activity level. Any ideas? (26 Mar 2001)

34. I am an active duty US Army soldier in the combat field who developed (presumably type 1) diabetes, about six months after my enlistment. Being 18 and having no family history of the disease, could my diabetes have been caused by anything the Army had subjected me to? (26 Mar 2001)

35. I am an active duty US Army soldier who developed (presumably type 1) diabetes, about six months after my enlistment. The one concern on my mind is what options the Army might offer me as a future insulin dependent soldier. I am most interested in my long-term health, rather then staying in my field. Can you help me with what to do because I am not very familiar with all their policies? (26 Mar 2001)

36. My son has a pump and is playing baseball. He is a catcher and loves to steal bases. So far, he's taken the pump off at practice, and his blood sugar has been low or in the normal range afterward. Any good spots for a pump? Should he just leave it off for the two hours of ball, check his blood sugar frequently, and back up with shots if high? (26 Mar 2001)

37. My seven year old granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago, and we are having trouble getting her blood sugar to level out. She is becoming very moody and hard to get along with. It doesn't take much to get her upset. She is having a hard time controlling her temper. Is this a normal reaction to being diagnosed and getting her blood sugar stabilized? (26 Mar 2001)

38. Is neuropathy reversible, once you get your diabetes under control, or is the nerve damage permanent? (26 Mar 2001)

39. My 22 year old boyfriend has type 2 diabetes and has not taken great care of himself. We have been having unprotected sex for quite some time and nothing has happened. I am not trying to become pregnant, but I have been tested so I know that it is not me. If you have diabetes and you do not take care of yourself, can this make you sterile? (26 Mar 2001)

40. My husband was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 34, and my two and one-half year old daughter wants to drink all day long, and therefore urinates frequently. After dinner, one evening her blood sugar was 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. Should I be concerned? (26 Mar 2001)

41. My seven year son has had diabetes for almost three and a half years. I recently switched him to a morning cocktail of Humalog, Regular and NPH insulin. While this has solved that problem, it has created another. It seems like the NPH is not working much at all. Should I give the NPH in a separate shot? Has anyone else reported such a dramatic change in the activity of NPH when it is mixed with Humalog? (26 Mar 2001)

42. My two day old granddaughter's blood sugars have been running in the 40s [mg/dl, 2.2 mmol/L], so they put her on a IV and said she may not get to go home with the mother today. I live a long way from them, and I am very concerned. (23 Mar 2001)

43. My eight year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a couple of months ago, but has negative antibodies. Is it important to find out whether my son has type 1 or 2? Is there anything we can do at this stage to find that out? If it's type 2, do we need different treatment for my son? (23 Mar 2001)

44. My three year old son weighs 72 pounds and is tall for his age. The doctor he is seeing said he is insulin resistant, and suggested we give him Glucophage. Please help me with any information you have on this medicine in three year olds. I have not started him on the medicine, and I will not without knowing what harm it could do him. (23 Mar 2001)

45. I took my five year old daughter to the doctor yesterday because she had what looked like a yeast infection. The doctor said that it could be a sign of high blood sugar and did random and fasting blood sugars which were normal, but he still wants to do an oral glucose tolerance test to be certain. Would you suggest we go through this test? (23 Mar 2001)

46. I have had type 1 diabetes for 49 years and have experienced numerous glucose monitoring methods. Is there a clinical evaluation of the accuracy of home blood glucose monitoring devices on the market today? (23 Mar 2001)

47. The doctors have all told me my daughter has diabetes, caught so early that she is showing no symptoms (except excessive thirst and urination). An urgent care visit for a high fever brought up this fact and the staff there looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned this to them. Now I am doubting myself and the fact that she has this disease. (23 Mar 2001)

48. My 28 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about eight months ago, and she has just been diagnosed with Perthes Disease. Since her profile is completely opposite of the typical affected child, I was wondering if you know of any connection between Perthes disease and diabetes. (23 Mar 2001)

49. My five year old daughter was diagnosed with type1 diabetes two and a half weeks ago. I have read some info about RiSoTriene helping people with diabetes (most were adults). Should I discuss using this for my daughter with her doctor? (23 Mar 2001)

50. I am 14 years old and was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Is this going to slow me down and really affect the rest of my life? Is it wrong for me to be scared? (23 Mar 2001)

51. My eight year old daughter was diagnosed five months ago and has had walking pneumonia three times since then. Is there any connection between that and diabetes? (23 Mar 2001)

52. Can diabetic ketoacidosis be caused by excessive ingestion of candy? (22 Mar 2001)

53. My eight year old daughter was diagnosed five months ago, and she is never hungry. How can I get her to eat when she has to and to eat more food? (22 Mar 2001)

54. Where can I find a full listing of the glycaemic index? (22 Mar 2001)

55. My seven year old son, diagnosed 15 months ago with type 1 diabetes, is in the first grade and sometimes acts out in school. He is receiving professional counseling and being evaluated for ADHD. I told his principal and teacher uncontrolled blood sugars could be why he is having a difficult time controlling feelings, outbursts, etc. Please educate me and school personnel about diabetes and unwanted behaviors of young kids. (22 Mar 2001)

56. My duaghter is in her honeymoon, and, even without any evening insulin, she has a lot of lows during the night. I know that ice cream and peanut butter are good bed time snacks for her, but she is already tired of them. Can you suggest other bedtime snacks to help prevent the lows in the night? (22 Mar 2001)

57. My 70 year old father has had diabetes for five years and uses insulin. Recently, he developed some kidney problems which caused wounds and swelling in both legs. Is there any cure for kidney problems? Unfortunately, he lives outside of the US in a Middle Eastern country. (22 Mar 2001)

58. I know what the cutoffs are for the fasting and one- and two-hour after meal blood sugars, but what should the blood sugar be at bedtime? (22 Mar 2001)

59. I was diagnosed at the age of 29 with type 1 diabetes, and had gestational diabetes with both children. My control has been horrible for the past 4 to 5 years, and my most recent HbA1c was 10.5%. My new doctor (an endocrinologist) who wants to put me on metformin along with my insulin regimen. Research appears to show that metformin is contraindicated in type 1 diabetes. Should I be concerned? (22 Mar 2001)

60. How long does my blood sugar need to stay high to stimulate insulin production in fetus? If the fetus already increased its insulin production due to my prior high blood sugar level, and my blood sugar returns to normal range and stays within normal range for the next few weeks, will it come back to normal? (22 Mar 2001)

61. I have gestational diabetes and I am about 37 weeks along. My sonogram showed the baby was at 92 percentile and weighed about 7 pounds 11oounces already! I am diet controlled and have mildly elevations of blood sugar occasionally, but apparently these mildly elevations have already done harm. I am very concerned about what kind of bad things could happen to a baby this size. (22 Mar 2001)

62. My six year old has trouble maintaining his weight. He is very active. If he goes without eating for two hours he becomes irritable, has headaches, stomachaches, the shakes, and sometimes naps. He drinks constantly, but does not desire sweets. He prefers meat over anything else. Does my son have signs of diabetes? (21 Mar 2001)

63. What type of vitamins should a 14 year old and a 10 year old with diabetes take to get the appropriate amount they need each day? (21 Mar 2001)

64. For the past month, my son's blood sugars have been swinging (from 42 to 300 mg/dl [2.3 to 16.7 mmol/L]) so much that I feel I no longer know what to do. He is on NPH in the morning, Lente at supper and then a sliding scale of Humalog. How do I adjust his insulin? (21 Mar 2001)

65. My 12 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for about seven months and spends one night a week with me on weekends. The day after I take him home, he sometimes experiences abnormal highs and/or hows. His mom believes that this is caused by frozen foods that I sometimes prepare for him. Can this be so? (21 Mar 2001)

66. Doctors usually suggest that people with diabetes should have their kidney function examined for any sign of the microalbuminuria at least once a year. Does this mean that it can be reversed or cured with ACE inhibitors if detected before it progresses over a maximum of one year? (21 Mar 2001)

67. I am 19, have had type 1 diabetes for over two years, and I have also had sporadic neuropathy in both feet since my diabetes began, related to blood sugar control. I had a foot injury, and after a week of treatment, there isn't any improvement, and I'm starting to get worried. (21 Mar 2001)

68. Is it true that there are different cutoff numbers for plasma calibrated meters and whole-blood calibrated meters? (21 Mar 2001)

69. My two and a half year old has been waking up with high blood sugars. She is pre-clinical without the autoantibodies and is being monitored at home due to occasional high readings. Is there any other disease that can affect the blood sugar levels besides diabetes? Is this early detection of diabetes? Do the antibodies always have to be present? (21 Mar 2001)

70. About a year and a half ago, my three year old suffered a seizure. It was traumatic for my son, and the doctors never knew why he had one. His sugar was normal, and the only thing I remember about that day is that he was very, very upset. He was very fussy and cried a lot, then fell asleep and right after that he had a seizure. Does this make any sense? (21 Mar 2001)

71. I am 27 years old, and I have had diabetes since I was 13 with terrible control, until just recently. What age is too old to have a baby, if you have had poor control of your blood sugars in the past? (21 Mar 2001)

72. I have been on an insulin pump for five months, and even though my blood sugars have improved, I continue to gain one to three pounds per week (40 pounds total). I think if I weren't doing my part (overeating, not exercising etc.), then it would be my fault, but I am so aware of every thing I do, and I am more depressed than ever before! (20 Mar 2001)

73. I am 35 weeks pregnant, and I have gestational diabetes, which has been controlled by diet for the past three months, although I have had about 15 high numbers. I have several questions. (20 Mar 2001)

74. My seven year old daughter currently uses Humulin NPH and Humalog. Last week, a doctor on TV made claims that Humulin Insulin has many unreported side effects, and that currently there is a class action suit against its manufacturer. Do you have any information on this? (20 Mar 2001)

75. During a recent chat, there were two tips mentioned to help keep insulin pump infusion sets in place. My nephew just started pumping and didn't understand either tip. Can you explain how these things might be helpful? Do you have other such tips? (20 Mar 2001)

76. I have just be diagnosed with diabetes and am monitoring my blood sugar. How long after I eat am I supposed to check my blood sugar? (20 Mar 2001)

77. A friend of mine (age 25) is concerned that he may have diabetes, but won't go to have any tests since he has a real needle phobia. Is there any way that you can conduct the test without needles? (20 Mar 2001)

78. I am a Medical Technologist, and I have always read that the lifespan of a red blood cell is a 120 days. I was surprised to see it listed as approximately 90 days. Can you explain the discrepancy? (20 Mar 2001)

79. I'm not fat and I stick to a healthy diet, but find it very hard to lose weight. Do all people with diabetes grow up to be fat? (20 Mar 2001)

80. My five year son was diagnosed about seven months ago, and so far, we've been on one morning shot of Lente, but he is still having a lot of lows which has become frightening. Do you think we would be safer on two smaller doses of intermediate acting insulin as opposed to the one large dose in the morning? (20 Mar 2001)

81. I have been sent to a high risk specialist because my blood sugar was high. I have had five other pregnancies. Each time I was told I had gestational diabetes. What should I expect from the high-risk doctors? (20 Mar 2001)

82. am counseling some women who have gestational diabetes. Where can I get access to a specific meal plan? These women would like something very specific. (19 Mar 2001)

83. I am 53 year old male who has had type 1 diabetes for 42 years. I have heard a lot about colon testing for individuals above 50, and my wife had one last year. What are the recommendations concerning this sort of testing for people with type 1 diabetes? (19 Mar 2001)

84. My 16 year old son has hypoglycemia and sometimes we have a problem controlling his blood sugar. He has days where it stays low no matter what we do and then other days it is high. Could there be something else going on that we need checked out? Does this mean that he has the early stages of diabetes? (19 Mar 2001)

85. I am 55 years old, and I have type 2 diabetes, finally stabilized with diet and metformin. My doctor has prescribed hormone replacement therapy. I always read the warnings that come with the prescriptions and one of them is that they affect diabetes. What kind of effect does hormone replacement therapy have on diabetes? (19 Mar 2001)

86. I am 32 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since the age of 10, and I an on an insulin pump. I want to stay on the pump, but I am looking into the option of the internal pump. What are the drawbacks from this type of pump? Are there any risks or side effects from the internal pump? (19 Mar 2001)

87. My 65 year old grandfather, who is a strict vegetarian and has NIDDM, needs a general diet chart. Please give some tips. (19 Mar 2001)

88. My 16 year old daughter had a seizure on the day following a wake-a-thon which required staying awake all night. Does sleep deprivation lower her resistance to seizure? How typical is it for a person with diabetes to have a seizure with a low blood sugar instead of just passing out? (19 Mar 2001)

89. I am 25 years old, have had diabetes for 10 years, and it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to control my sugar levels. I am reluctant to raise my insulin intake because I do not want to gain any more weight. Could this be because of insulin resistance? If so, what can be done about it? (19 Mar 2001)

90. Over the past two years, my levels of microalbumin have been 13 and 12. Are these elevated values indicative of an irreversible course toward diabetic nephropathy? Are there any studies that demonstrate that it is possible to reverse these abnormal levels? Are there any data that indicate that treatment with ACE inhibitors at this stage would be beneficial? (19 Mar 2001)

91. My three year old little boy was diagnosed two weeks ago. He went into a coma, after being treated for the past month for an ear infection. here were a lot of signs that maybe I should have noticed, but I overlooked them for a long time. We are still having trouble with keeping his in range. The doctors told me that they don't understand what is going on with him, and keep upping the levels of insulin. (19 Mar 2001)

92. Our 16 year old son s experiencing serious nocturnal low blood sugars (specifically between 3 and 6 am). We have adjusted for his hockey games, but they have also occurred when there has been no activity the evening before. His blood sugars have been normal at bedtime and he's had a healthy snack. Why is this happening and what can we do? (18 Mar 2001)

93. Recently, I found out that my daughter is missing six permanent teeth. When I asked about braces, the dentist refused to put them on because my daughter has diabetes, and it would be unsafe for her to have them. I am not sure about that. Are there any dentists who specialize in treating people with diabetes? (18 Mar 2001)

94. My two year nine month son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes eight months ago, and recently was screened for celiac disease, even though he has no symptoms. Since one of the antibodies is negative, is this still a positive test for celiac disease? (18 Mar 2001)

95. My nine month old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes yesterday. Can you put me in touch with other parents who have very young children with type 1 diabetes? (18 Mar 2001)

96. My eight year son has had diabetes for almost two years. All of my family is saying that I treat him like a baby, and although I know that this is true, I feel like I need to protect him now more than ever. Who knows what and when anything could happen. Am I wrong to do this? (18 Mar 2001)

97. What are the possible negative side effects of taking Ultralente insulin? Could it aggravate problems with the tendons in the hands? (18 Mar 2001)

98. I am an avid weight lifter with type 1 diabetes, and told me about a supplement called Hydroxi-Rip that is supposed to help with lifting. However, on the side of the bottle, there is a warning for people with diabetes. Would it be possible to take this? Would it raise or lower my blood levels? (18 Mar 2001)

99. I am concerned about my 15 year old son who is five feet, five inches tall and weighs 180 pounds, and we have a family history of type 2 diabetes. I recently found out he is buying a lot of junk food in addition to his regular meals. I have been reluctant to mention weight issues previously because of concern with unwittingly precipitating an eating disorder. How can I help him? (18 Mar 2001)

100. My daughter occasionally wakes in the morning with horrible tremors, to the point where she can barely hold a glass of water. She is also extremely nauseous and can vomit up even crackers or toast. She will also be very pale and clammy to the touch. My brothers and I suffered through this throughout most of our childhood. Could this be a prelude to diabetes or something? (18 Mar 2001)

101. Now that basketball season has ended my blood sugar has been around 200 to 250 mg/dl [11.1 to 13.8 mmol/L] even though I am on an insulin pump. Is there any exercise I can do inside on rainy days? (13 Mar 2001)

102. I was diagnosed as having diabetes two and one-half years ago - type still unknown. I have severe bouts of instability, both hyper and hypos. Among the testing now going on, my cortisol levels are being tested. Mine appear to be low rather than high. What is the function of cortisol? What are the implications of high or low levels? (13 Mar 2001)

103. My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 10. For the past few years, we suggested that she should attend one of the summer diabetes camps in our area, but she wants nothing to do with it. I don't know if just making her go would do more harm than good, or if I shouldn't push her. (13 Mar 2001)

104. I am 31 weeks pregnant, and I have gestational diabetes. My blood sugar has been as high as 146 mg/dl [8.1 mmol/L] one hour after a meal, but will drop to 119 mg/dl [6.6 mmol/L] or less within 30 minutes. Is this acceptable? Can this rapid fluctuation harm my baby or cause the baby to grow very large? (13 Mar 2001)

105. A friend of mine just found out that her unborn baby has full blown diabetes. What kind of complications can that have on her and the unborn child? (13 Mar 2001)

106. Where can I buy a non-invasive blood sugar testing device? (13 Mar 2001)

107. I am planning to move to the Netherlands. Can anyone help me find out about cost of insulin, and general health coverage for me in Holland? (13 Mar 2001)

108. What are the highest and lowest documented A1c's ever? (13 Mar 2001)

109. Do you think it would benefit a child with diabetes to carry the "911 MED VIAL™" with them in case they have a problem? (13 Mar 2001)

110. I understand people with diabetes have to get a timed test for microalbuminuria, based on a 24-hour urine specimen, but I recently heard about a home (do-it-yourself) spot tests are becoming available. Do you think spot tests can produce the same accurate results as those based on the 24-hour urine sample? (13 Mar 2001)

111. My three and one-half year old has been diagnosed for one year now, and I was wondering what the standard is for getting eye exams. A friend with a son the same age has already had one for a baseline measure, but our doctor does not seem to think it is necessary yet. (13 Mar 2001)

112. My mother, who has diabetes and weighs 268 pounds, wants to lose the weight and she feels she needs more help. She wants to go to an adult weight loss camp for people with diabetes. However, I have been researching adult weight loss camps for people with diabetes, and I cannot find anything. Help me help my mom. (11 Mar 2001)

113. Could you please tell me the difference between the glycosylated hemoglobin test and the HbA1c? I know they basically measure the same thing, but my daughter's doctor insists on the HbA1c and my daughters friend gets the glycosylated hemoglobin, which does not require blood to be taken. (11 Mar 2001)

114. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of seven. At that time, she suffered from night terrors and sleep walking for about six months which we thought was normal for her age. We are now concerned because these incidents have started to happen again. Could these be linked with her diabetes? What can we do to help her? (11 Mar 2001)

115. Two months ago, my friend's four year old child was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and his blood sugars are low during the day even after we reduced his insulin. Will his sugar stay this way or will this be for a certain amount of time? What is the new medication instead of injections? What is the success of the transplant of cells? (11 Mar 2001)

116. Within the last two months, a five year old girl in my son's preschool class and the 18 month old son of the teacher have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It was mentioned to me that in both cases, the diabetes was caused by a virus. I have never heard of that situation, and wondered if it could be true. (11 Mar 2001)

117. Our seven year old son experiences great mood swings and violent outbursts, and his child psychologist suggested that this might be due to low blood sugars levels. How can I be sure? What food do I give him to combat this problem? Is it a realistic answer? Should he be tested for diabetes? (11 Mar 2001)

118. My daughter has a ring all the way around her neck that is dark, crusty and cracked, and I remember reading somewhere that this was a symptom of something which I thought that it was diabetes. Is this true? What might be causing it? (11 Mar 2001)

119. About a year ago, I had my gallbladder removed, and within two months, I had not only gained back the fifty pounds I had previously lost, but 20 more pounds. Since the surgery my bowel habits have changed. I eat fairly healthy, hardly any beef, and I drink over a gallon of water a day. Is something wrong? Is something wrong? (11 Mar 2001)

120. I am a 44 year old female who was diagnosed with dysfunctional uterine bleeding 10 months ago. During this first episode, my gynecologist had me take a two-hour glucose tolerance test, which was abnormal. Could my hormone imbalance at the time have thrown off the test results? Since insulin is considered a hormone, could this be a reason for the test results? (11 Mar 2001)

121. In the past six months my father has rapidly gained weight, falls asleep while eating, or at church, etc., and is now complaining of not being able to walk due to the pain in his hips, and is even having a hard time breathing. What other measures can I explore before I get my father to change doctors? (11 Mar 2001)

122. I am a fourteen year old with type 1 diabetes. If I had a severe hypo in the middle of the night, and no one woke up to save me, about how long would it take before I died? (10 Mar 2001)

123. I have been struggling with type 1 for more than 25 years and have eye and kidney complications. For the last six months, I have had more and more hypoglycemic reactions despite continuously reducing my insulin doses. Have I started to produce insulin again? (10 Mar 2001)

124. I'm a 27 year old female who has had Hodgkin's Disease IIIB for 12 years and is being treated with chemotherapy and radiation. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, and have no family history. I have normal fasting blood sugars (80-90 mg/dl [4.4 to 5])mmol/L] range, and an A1c of 4.4%. However, my two-hour postprandial blood sugars range from 154-208 mg/dl [8.6-11.6 mmol/L]. Is there cause for alarm? (10 Mar 2001)

125. My mom and aunt were sure I had diabetes because the only symptom I don't have is weight loss, but it seems I don't. Are there any more tests to tell if someone has diabetes? I just so tired of feeling like this. (10 Mar 2001)

126. My friend has diabetes, and she told me lately that when she tests her blood sugar levels before going to bed they are normal, but when she wakes up they are high. What can make your sugar level go up while you are sleeping? (10 Mar 2001)

127. My daughter has type 1 diabetes, and she has always had a different smell than my other children. Even though she washes her hair daily, her scalp has a distinct order. I was wondering if this has to do with diabetes. It's not an offensive order, just a different one. Do children with diabetes have a different smell? (10 Mar 2001)

128. I am a 48 year old female recently diagnosed with what my diabetes thinks might be type 1.5 diabetes because of my symptoms and the fact that I am not obese. Have you ever heard of type 1.5 diabetes? (10 Mar 2001)

129. My husband and two children all have type 1 diabetes. If we decided to have more children, Is there any test to predict if that child would develop diabetes? (10 Mar 2001)

130. I am supposed to check my blood sugar twice a day, but I can't afford the strips. Is there any help out there? (10 Mar 2001)

131. Our eight year old son developed type 1 diabetes about eight months ago. According to the scientific advances on this disease, what will be the approximate time that science discovers permanent cures of this disease? (10 Mar 2001)

132. Our three year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, and we are moving from Kansas City to the South Bend, Indiana area. We would like some information about choosing the best hospital and endocrinologist there for her care. (10 Mar 2001)

133. My 13 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for two years, doesn't feel the need to take care of herself if I'm not standing over her telling her what to do. What can I do with her? (9 Mar 2001)

134. Our 16 month old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes about six weeks ago, and has had four seizures during sleep. Is there a reason why they may be happening while she sleeps? (9 Mar 2001)

135. Two weeks ago, my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She was being seen for another problem, but they found sugar in her urine, so they did a blood glucose which was 269 mg/dl [14.9 mmol/L]. They never took any blood other than using the meter. Is there a possibility that she has been misdiagnosed? What else needs to be done to make sure my daughter has diabetes? (9 Mar 2001)

136. I have been insulin dependent for over 40 years and am on an insulin pump, but recently, there was question as to whether I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes. I am now on pills and have noticed that I am starting to need fewer insulin boluses per day. Do you have any additional advice? (9 Mar 2001)

137. I am having problems with my sugar crashing after and sometimes during sex. Is this normal and what can I do to prevent it? I have been eating before, but sometimes I still have to stop during sex to get something sweet. It is very frustrating, and I can use any advice given. (9 Mar 2001)

138. My 76 year old mother has just recently been diagnosed with diabetes with a blood sugar of 32 mmol/L [576 mg/dl]. She had classic symptoms which she did not tell anyone about, including her doctor. Since she goes to the doctor quite regularly, I don't know why he didn't notice. Is it possible that all of her blood/urine tests over the year could be normal, until now? (9 Mar 2001)

139. I have been interested in the questions regarding abdominal pain in children with diabetes. It seems that after things such as constipation are ruled out, doctors don't have a clue. I have had some deny a link with my child's diabetes. The only real help I have had is from a naturopath. (9 Mar 2001)

140. I was diagnosed at age 18 and am now 23, returning to school for a nursing degree in the hopes of becoming a Certified Diabetes Educator. Are there is any possible resources out there? (9 Mar 2001)

141. I am concerned that my son's behavior may be the result of hypoglycemia, but not I am sure what to do at this point. Our pediatrician seems to believe the protein and carbs will do the trick and he will not test him for anything, but I see his behavior becoming more extreme. What do you suggest? (9 Mar 2001)

142. Are implantable insulin pumps still in use? (9 Mar 2001)

143. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six years ago. Typically, I experience hypoglycemic reactions about once or twice per month, and in most cases I have a reasonable explanation. However, during two exciting weeks in Barbados, I had one or two hypoglycemic reactions every day (mostly in the afternoon), and I couldn't find any explanation. (8 Mar 2001)

144. My 12 year old grandson has had type 1 diabetes for three years. His food, insulin, and exercise are controlled, and he does not cheat on sugar intake. However, in the last six month, his blood sugars can swing from very high to very low in a four to six hour period. What could cause this? (8 Mar 2001)

145. My six year old son has had diabetes for five months, and he always complains about the injections. Is there any tip to make the injections more comfortable or less painful? (8 Mar 2001)

146. My 43 year old developmentally disabled cousin was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and wants to go to summer camp. Are there any camps in California for folks with his needs? (8 Mar 2001)

147. How fast can blood glucose change in humans? I'm equally interested in rising and falling concentrations, and expecting that the answer will be in terms of mg/dl per minute, or something similar. I'm looking for the extreme cases here, not a typical value. The answer to this question will help me design better glucose meters. (8 Mar 2001)

148. I may have injected a morning mixture of NPH and Humalog into a vein by mistake, and subsequently, my pre-dinner glucose level was 25.6 mmol/L [1.4 mg/dl]. Could you please direct me to some useful information regarding synthetic insulin metabolism? (8 Mar 2001)

149. Lately, my afternoon blood sugars have been extremely high and my evening blood sugars are very low. I would like to go on three shots a day, but my doctor (an internist) thinks it is unnecessary at this point. Should I ask for a second opinion? (8 Mar 2001)

150. My 20 year friend has diabetes. Can a person with diabetes take fat burners? (8 Mar 2001)

151. What is the difference in hypoglycemia and diabetes? How is it determined if someone has both conditions? (8 Mar 2001)

152. I am a 35 year old female and have been on Glucophage to combat my PCOS for two and one-half years now. I have lost over 50 pounds, and I feel great most of the time, but now I am having hypoglycemia. What should I do? (8 Mar 2001)

153. I am looking for a continuous sensor so I can reduce the risk of lows without risking long term health by staying high. When will such a device come out? Also, I had heard [a pump company] was working on a continuous sensor but don't see it listed on the site. (8 Mar 2001)

154. I am a 29 year old male recently diagnosed with type, and I am worried about complications in later life, particularly amputations. Five years ago, I broke my foot in 13 places. Does this trauma elevate the risk of amputation in later life? (7 Mar 2001)

155. Lately, I urinate much more often, and my urine smells very strong. I drink a lot of water, but it does not help. Should I worry? What are the symptoms of protein in the urine? (7 Mar 2001)

156. I am 14 years old, and I have diabetes and a nickel allergy which is causing discomfort. Are there any special precautions I should take for the medicine and things like that? (7 Mar 2001)

157. My husband has heart problems, and has had several elevated blood sugars during cardiac catheterization procedures as well as on a home blood glucose meter. His doctor is kind of brushing this under the carpet as if it is nothing of great importance. (7 Mar 2001)

158. I'm about 35 weeks pregnant. I was told that it's about time the insulin resistance reached a plateau, and I will be more stable from now on. Is this true? When does insulin resistance peak off? (7 Mar 2001)

159. My 11 year old was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Is there any chance that the hyperglycemia was caused by a thyroid problem instead of a pancreatic deficiency? (7 Mar 2001)

160. My 10 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes nine months ago. At the time of the diabetes diagnose, he was also being tested for ADD/ADHD. We disregarded all of the ADD/ADHD results as we thought it was due to the diabetes. Now, we are re-visiting this issue and he is being tested again by the school and a psychologist. Are there any parents out there who have children with type 1 as well as ADD/ADHD? Are they on medications? (7 Mar 2001)

161. I am eight weeks pregnant with my third child, and had gestational diabetes during my previous pregnancies which was diet-controlled. Because of my history, the nurse suggested a glucose test at six weeks. I am concerned because, at only six weeks, I am now technically diagnosed as "borderline", and gestational diabetes usually occurs at 24 weeks. Do I have pre-existing diabetes and not know it? (7 Mar 2001)

162. I have two daughters, ages 10 and 14, with diabetes, and I have recently read about the benefits of taking vitamin E to help people with diabetes possibly prevent certain complications. I definitely want to start them on a daily regimen of vitamin E and would appreciate it if you can tell me an appropriate dose for their ages. (7 Mar 2001)

163. I am trying to get pregnant right now and had gestational diabetes with my first child. What precautions I need to be taking to insure that my baby is okay during the first crucial weeks after conception? Should I go back to a diabetic diet? I have concerns about my baby getting the nutrients it needs in the first trimester if I do. (7 Mar 2001)

164. My 10 year old son has had type 1 diabetes since age six, and since then he has problems in school. His blood sugars rise and fall all day long, and we have not had much success stabilizing them. In controlled situations, such as pitching a baseball game, his concentration and focus are incredible. (6 Mar 2001)

165. My 12 year old son, who has had Down's Syndrome since birth, was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Is this rare? What other health risks are there with the combination of the two? I imagine he will never be able to give his own insulin. Is there any added financial help or care we can receive? (6 Mar 2001)

166. I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I'm taking sustained release niacin because of high cholesterol. Should I be concerned about taking this with the new diabetes diagnosis? (6 Mar 2001)

167. My three and one-half year old nephew who had the rotovirus last week and was hospitalized. I read somewhere that the rotovirus could lead to the onset of diabetes. Any truth to this? (6 Mar 2001)

168. I heard on the news that type 1 diabetes may be able to be prevented in siblings of kids who have diabetes by taking some kind of low dose insulin pill. Is this available yet? If so, how do we get it? If not, are there other ways of preventing diabetes in siblings? (6 Mar 2001)

169. I have read statistics that babies of women with gestational diabetes have a higher risk of fetal demise, stillbirth, or perinatal death, especially if the mother is taking insulin. I have searched far and wide for the reasons why this might be. I want to understand my risks and how I can monitor them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. (6 Mar 2001)

170. My 10 year old son has been on insulin since the age of two. His hemoglobin A1c is now up to 8.3%. We are now carb counting to try to lower it, but his blood sugars are still erratic and hard to control. I worry about his long term health, should I? (6 Mar 2001)

171. I work in a pharmacy., and we have a patient who has an infant with diabetes. She wants to if there is such a thing as a glucose suppository to treat hypoglycemia when her infant is unable to take glucose orally. Can you help me out? (6 Mar 2001)

172. I am 21, now weigh around 250-260 pounds, have had diabetes for 11 years and am very concerned about the rapid weight gain I have recently experienced. Is it possible to have hyperthyroidism with a very rapid weight gain (30 pounds in the last month)? Could there be another metabolic problem going on? (6 Mar 2001)

173. My eight year old son has diabetes, and I am most concerned about potential nephropathy. What percentage of people with diabetes (type 1 versus type 2) get a kidney problem? How long have they had diabetes? (6 Mar 2001)

174. I am 31 weeks pregnant, have gestational diabetes, and am on insulin with my sugars under control. Despite eating six times per day, and even trying a middle-of-the-night snack, I continue to have ketones in my urine. I've read that constant ketones can be very dangerous to baby. Does anyone have management suggestions and/or data on this? (6 Mar 2001)

175. My husband has type 1 diabetes and is on an insulin pump, but his blood sugars are constantly erratic, ranging from 30 to 300 mg/dl [1.7 to 16.7 mmol/L]. How do you cope with this and the related mood swings? (5 Mar 2001)

176. Two years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but after a bout with DKA that changed. When I left the hospital, my daily dose of insulin was 80 units (multiple daily injections), it is now down to 26 to 34 units a day, and my A1c has gone from 16.2 to 4.7%. Could I be going into a belated honeymoon period? Is this due to my total change of life style? (5 Mar 2001)

177. I am a 23 year old busy college student with type 1 diabetes, so I can't always eat at exact meal times, and I enjoy hiking on longer excursions. I was considering going on the insulin pump, but am now waiting to use the new insulin for the long acting and then Humalog at meals. Do you know when the new insulin (24 hour) will be on the market? Can you now purchase the inhalers used for insulin? (5 Mar 2001)

178. I'm about 34 weeks pregnant, and I have gestational diabetes which is controlled by diet. Sometimes, if I have eaten something I shouldn't have, my postprandial readings are high. Do you have to be high constantly to do harm to the fetus or will just a occasionally high number be harmful? (5 Mar 2001)

179. My 18 year female friend has lived with diabetes for ten years, and unfortunately, about one month ago, she became very ill. Now she needs a pancreas transplant, and the specialists are not optimistic about her survival. Is there anything that can be done to help? (5 Mar 2001)

180. What are the current statistics on people with diabetes? How close is possible cure other than surgery? (5 Mar 2001)

181. I am 38 years old and pregnant with my second child. During my last pregnancy I had a slightly elevated one-hour glucose test result and a normal three-hour GTT. This time my oen-hour result was 179 mg/dl [9.9 mmol/L]. I am so concerned with this result that I have been following a low-carb diet and have increased my exercise. Is it a good idea to modify my diet now? (5 Mar 2001)

182. My 10 year old daughter is on an insulin pump using Humalog. Her daytime blood sugars are in tight control, but at night, they go very high. Her diabetes team thinks she is bouncing at night, but I have done a range of readings at night and have not been able to confirm this. Can you give me any insight? (5 Mar 2001)

183. I had a one-hour glucose challenge at 26 weeks gestation, which was normal. However, I decided to check my urine at home, and find I am now spilling sugar frequently. Because my specimens at the office are normal, my doctor says I'm fine. I then decided to self-monitor some blood sugars to ease my mind, and I have had a couple of high readings. Do I have diabetes? (5 Mar 2001)

184. I just wanted to comment on a recent question in which a man had trouble with hypoglycemia after changing his infusion set and cartridge on his pump. Is it possible that he is putting Humalog that is straight out of the refrigerator into the pump into the pump? As the insulin warms up in the pump, it expands, therefore infusing slightly more insulin than anticipated. (5 Mar 2001)

185. Four months ago, my three year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I have a few questions. (4 Mar 2001)

186. I'm a 20 year old girl who has type 1 diabetes. Is it true that a person with diabetes cannot donate blood? (4 Mar 2001)

187. My 38 year old mother has had a lot of problems with control even though she keeps to an eating plan and has tried a number of different types of insulin. I have heard that there is some evidence to suggest that certain fatty acids in the diet can aid in the absorption of insulin -- is this true? If so what fatty acids and how can they help? (4 Mar 2001)

188. I am 30 years old and have had diabetes for 22 years. I am in good control, have no complications, and have been using the insulin pump for three years. I just found out that I am five weeks pregnant, and I am concerned because I had an episode of high blood sugar with ketones a few days ago. How worried should I be? Is there anything I can do? (4 Mar 2001)

189. I have gestational diabetes and would appreciate answers to several questions. (4 Mar 2001)

190. I am very worried about a friend of mine who is approximately seven weeks pregnant and has type 2 diabetes. What are her chances of coming through this with a healthy baby? What complications might she have? (4 Mar 2001)

191. I am 39 years old, 21 weeks, pregnant with my second child, and have gestational diabetes. My fasting has never been below 105 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L] even though I follow my diet. I have lost seven and one-half pounds since getting pregnant. My obstetrician told me I must go on insulin and that I have a very good chance of developing diabetes after this baby comes. Should I be concerned with the weight loss? (4 Mar 2001)

192. What is the law in the state of New York concerning a pre-existing condition in children with type 1 diabetes? (4 Mar 2001)

193. My four year old son is in the pre-clinical stage of type 1 diabetes. see parents writing in asking about the likelihood of having another member of their immediate family (a child or sibling) develop diabetes, and I have seen your response that there is only a 2%-5% chance. I see so many situations in which type 1 is passed on that your numbers of 2%-5% shock me! Where are you getting your figures? (4 Mar 2001)

194. My daughter has two spots of necrobiosis on one leg that are very large and are now forming into one, and another on the other leg that is slowly increasing in size. We have tried steroid injections once with absolutely no change. Are there any new treatments for necrobiosis? (4 Mar 2001)

195. I want your expert advice regarding a one year old child with who is suffering from diabetes. Is there any method of detecting if there has been damage to the beta cells? (3 Mar 2001)

196. I have two little girls that are dying to visit with each other and I have to understand multiple injection therapy before I will be willing to take on the task of caring for the child to make their visit possible. (3 Mar 2001)

197. My 12 year old son has borderline diabetes. I'm really not sure what his diet should consist of. Can he have fruit juices, if so how much and the same goes for fruits? I know that sugar should be monitored, but will a little bit a day hurt anything? (3 Mar 2001)

198. My 20 year old daughter has had diabetes since age seven. I can honestly say she has had at least 30 full blown seizures. What is the best way to handle a seizure? Most important, what if she were to have the seizure and no one was there to get her out of it? (3 Mar 2001)

199. My nine year old son has had a virus a couple of times in the past two months, and now, for about one and a half weeks, he has been suffering from massive headaches. Could my son's headache be from his Could this be from his virus, or is it common for children with diabetes to have an unusual amount of headaches? (3 Mar 2001)

200. My 10 year old daughter has a terrible odor about her. She has a thyroglossal duct cyst. Could the cyst be the cause of this odor? (3 Mar 2001)

201. With the increase in patients on Humalog and insulin pumps, I was wondering if there are any guidelines for intraoperative management. hat do you foresee in the future? Will Humalog replace Regular insulin for hospital management? Can Humalog be titrated IV? (3 Mar 2001)

202. One of my patients asked about Gymnema Sylvestre for lowering blood sugar. I have searched, and cannot find any information on it. Is there any validity to claims made about Gymnema Sylvestre and diabetes? (3 Mar 2001)

203. I have never gained the weight back that was lost (165 pounds; now 145). How can I can gain weight while maintaining good blood sugar control on a low carb diet? (2 Mar 2001)

204. My eight year old daughter recently saw an ophthalmologist yesterday who detected a microaneurysm in the macular area of her left eye. He suspects that she may have diabetes, but she has never exhibited symptoms of diabetes. She is scheduled for testing to see if she has diabetes. Could the microaneurysm be caused by something else? What is the likelihood that she does have diabetes? (2 Mar 2001)

205. My six year old granddaughter has been diagnosed as insulin intolerant. She has been on a diet and is still gaining weight. The doctor says there is no medication for her until age 10. What happens if she continues to gain weight? Is there no treatment or a way to stop the weight gain? (2 Mar 2001)

206. My three year son had a blood sugar of 180mg/dl [10 mmol/L]. Since then it is still in the 150s mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. He has never been checked before and he doesn't have any symptoms, but diabetes runs both sides of the family. I am very concerned. Could a virus have brought this on? (2 Mar 2001)

207. My 10 year son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago. He is honeymooning, requiring only between 5-8 total units per day and less on some days. Mild hypoglycemia has occurred off and on, and he frequently he runs too low for my liking. Has anyone ever tried the short acting oral agents in type 1 patients in the honeymoon? Can I make U-50 or U-25 insulin so I can more easily give half or quarter unit dose adjustments? (2 Mar 2001)

208. My seven year old son has had type 1 for one year, and his blood glucose range from the 60s to 400s mg/dl [3.3-22.2mmol/L] with at least four insulin injections per day. I have read numerous positive things regarding the pump, but his "busy" doctors have not explained much and really do not give me a good reason why he should or should not be a candidate for the pump. (2 Mar 2001)

209. I have type 2 diabetes, and take two different kinds of diabetes pills.. For the past four days, my morning blood sugars have been about 230 mg/dl [12.8 mmol/L]. I have had some stress in my life for the past week or so. Could this be the cause, or am I in some other trouble? When should I call my doctor? (2 Mar 2001)

210. My seven year old becomes dazed, irritable, emotionally unstable, and sometimes vomits after eating sugar. Could this be a sugar level problem? If so, which type? (2 Mar 2001)

211. I am occasionally moody, and I am active in contact sports. How do I pick an insulin pump that will suit me? (2 Mar 2001)

212. My feet have been cold until about six weeks ago. Now, after having shoes on for about an hour, the bottom of my feet heat up and feel like I'm standing on a heat register. Should I be concerned? Should I discuss this with my internist? (2 Mar 2001)

213. I find I am increasingly 'feeling down' if my blood sugar is not between 4 and 10 mmol/L [72 and 180 mg/dl] because of the risk of long term side effects. Most are in the realms of normal, but I'll often have a 12 or 14 mmol/L [216 to 252 mg/dl] every day or so, and I worry. Am I worrying unnecessarily? (1 Mar 2001)

214. My 18 month old son has had severe constipation for four months. He also has been drinking excessive amounts of juice and water constantly, and has many wet diapers. Could this be a sign of type 1 diabetes? (1 Mar 2001)

215. Where or who would do a pancreas implant for us? I do not have diabetes, and I am quite willing to give my mom a piece of my good pancreas in order to cure this condition. Do you have any information on this procedure? (1 Mar 2001)

216. My wife has type 1 diabetes and uses an insulin pump, but she is not checking her blood sugar and refuses to watch her diet. She is very moody and sometimes seems depressed. How can I help her take better care of herself? (1 Mar 2001)

217. My one year old grandson has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. When he was three months old, it we noticed that one pupil was smaller than the other. The ophthalmologist did an x-ray which was negative, and his pupils are still unequal. Could there be relationship between the eye condition and the diabetes? (1 Mar 2001)

218. My 14 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for a year and a half. It seems as if her blood sugars vary greatly day to day despite the NPH I give her. What do the insulin producers think about a future cure? Could they possibly be for it? Or do they hope secretly that it somehow fails? (1 Mar 2001)

219. What do I do about my diabetes when I'm trying to get into college? Is there any program to help me with my diabetes at college? (1 Mar 2001)

220. I have had type 2 diabetes for a year and a half. Today, I had a grapefruit for breakfast and rode my bike about three miles. While I was in the bank, I became diaphoretic, slightly nauseated, and felt "funny". My blood sugar was 116 mg/dl [6.4 mmol/L] when I arrived homewithout having eaten anything. Could this have been hypoglycemia? Does the body spontaneously correct hypoglycemia? (1 Mar 2001)

221. My fasting blood sugar is 174 mg/dl [9.7 mmol/L], and, within two hours after eating, it is 134 mg/dl [7.4 mmol/L]. This seems to be contrary to the normal readings. Is this in order? The laboratory staff say that this reading is in order, and this can happen. Is there any precedence? Are there any precautions to be taken? (1 Mar 2001)

222. My mother has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is not managing it well. She is East Indian and is having a hard time with her diet. I need help finding the right recipes to help her eat. She has taken to not eating and has lost a lot of weight. We live far apart, and I can't get to her dietitian to get some advice. Can you help? (1 Mar 2001)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts