From Canada:

My mother has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is not managing it well. She is East Indian and is having a hard time with her diet. I need help finding the right recipes to help her eat. She has taken to not eating and has lost a lot of weight. We live far apart, and I can't get to her dietitian to get some advice. Can you help?

It must be hard to have your mother in such a worrisome position and not be there to help. The healthful diet for people with diabetes is no different than that for anyone else. It's just that with type 1 diabetes, it is necessary to find a way to balance what's eaten with the insulin that's given to cover it. That is very difficult if not impossible to do without knowing what your mother normally likes to eat, what sort of insulin plan she is on, and what her blood sugars are before and after eating.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Behavior