Question:

From Ferdinand, Indiana, USA:

What do I do about my diabetes when I'm trying to get into college? Is there any program to help me with my diabetes at college?

Answer:

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I will answer the best I can. Many colleges have health programs that include diabetes education and support groups for students as they attend college. I would suggest that you ask the college recruiters for information on health services and then call and talk to them directly.

Managing diabetes is absolutely possible in college, particularly if you have an insulin regimen that is adjustable to your food and activity. If you don't already use Humalog, in adjustable doses for food and exercise, I would strongly suggest you discuss this with your diabetes team as soon as possible. Learning how to "think like a pancreas", before you begin the stresses of college life, will make it a lot easier. Using an insulin pump to deliver the Humalog doses, will bring you added flexibility and freedom.

KS

[Editor's comment: You might also want to go to the college section of the Chat Rooms at this website. WWQ]