Question:

From Hemet, California, USA:

My wife has type 1 diabetes and uses an insulin pump, but she is not checking her blood sugar and refuses to watch her diet. She is very moody and sometimes seems depressed. How can I help her take better care of herself?

Answer:

Anyone using an insulin pump must be vigilant about blood sugar testing. It is unsafe otherwise. It would be my strong recommendation that your wife be evaluated by a professional to determine if she is clinically depressed, and if her behavior is reflective of deeper issues. You cannot assume responsibility for another adult's diabetes.

Please have her seek help now!

CMB

Posted to Behavior and Insulin Pumps