Question:

My 18 month old son has had severe constipation for four months. He's been on multiple medications which help some what but not much. He also has been drinking excessive amounts of juice and water constantly, and has many wet diapers. Could this be a sign of type 1 diabetes?

Answer:

I suppose one could become constipated by dehydration from hyperglycemia, but by then he should be sick and the glucose in the blood and urine would be very high. So it would be easy to diagnose, if indeed he did have diabetes. Talk to your son's physician.

[Editor's comment: See: symptoms of diabetes. SS]