Question:

From Jennings, Louisiana, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes six years ago. My feet have been cold until about six weeks ago. Now, after having shoes on for about an hour, the bottom of my feet heat up and feel like I'm standing on a heat register. Should I be concerned? Should I discuss this with my internist?

Answer:

You have asked a very important question. Yes, I think you should ask your internist about this and have your feet thoroughly examined. Make sure this examination includes a test of nerve sensation, with what is called a monofilament, as well as circulatory assessment. You did not mention how your diabetes control has been, but I encourage you to aggressively pursue near-normal blood sugar control to protect your blood vessels and nerves from diabetes damage. You may not feel the blood sugar being out of range but your daily blood sugar tests before and after meals as well as a blood test, hemoglobin A1c, will let you know where you stand.

KS